Re: slink is gone, goals for potato?

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 12:45:23AM +0000, Edward Betts wrote:
> EGCS as default C compiler on all architectures
>   It is needed to compile glibc 2.1

I don't think this is a big deal. (Moving to glibc 2.1 might be, but
keeping the current default compiler shouldn't be.)

> PAM as standard for authenticifcation.
>   Still possible to configure machines without

I think this is one or the other. Are there any good reasons to _not_
have pam? Are the pam packages ready? (The tools can change, but is the
library package stabilized?) Can we start deciding right way which
packages are going to need work, and can people ask for help right at
the outset if they need it, rather than waiting til the last minute? (My
biggest fear about this is that we'll have a dozen pam uploads the night
before freeze, so it'll take another 3 months to debug.)

> Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS)

This is a fairly low priority, IMHO. If we can get pam and glibc 2.1, I
think that would be enough (too much?) for 2.2.

> Completely support package uploads signed with gpg?

Someone was already working on this, right?

> Support for lsh instead of ssh (lsh needs some work)

I don't see the point in pushing a package that's not working yet.

> Package management goals:
> Apt, the new front end to the package management system as standard
>   Versions for:
>     * Console        - telnet access, console lovers and vgaless wonders
>     * Frame buffer   - for graphical install before X is configured
>     * X, own toolkit - for people who do not like gtk or kde (?)
>     * X, gnome/gtk   - apt in gtk fully intergrated with gnome
>     * X, kde/qt      - someone will do a port

All the above aren't going to happen. Whether there's some form of apt
gui depends on people coding, AFAIK.

> Fix some bugs in dpkg, split dselect into a seperate package

Did that LC_LANG bug get fixed for slink or not? If not, I think that it
(and debian 2.1r1) is the number one priority.

> Dconfig - new config system that doogie was doing

I don't think this'll be doable until the release _after_ the config
system is stabilized (to give people time to do the transition.)

> CD-ROMs with 2.88Mb boot disk, fit more stuff in.

I think a 2.88M boot disk is a waste of effort. Most of the people with
no cd aren't going to have those hens-teeth floppies either.

Mike Stone