New mysql 3.22.17 packages for experimental

Hello,

I've been slow putting together packages for the major upgrade to
mysql. A number of people have asked me about this, and the new
package scheme will be of interest to those maintainers with packages
that link to mysql, so I'll post this to debian-devel.

I've now totally repackaged mysql to match the rpm packages offered by
the upstreak maintainers TcX. I've uploaded them to the Debian
experimental distribution, and you can also find them in my Debian
home directory at http://master.debian.org/~shanson. (However, the
client libraries are new, so any apps that use them will need to be
recompiled. I've given the library the virtual package name libmysql6
to better manage updates in the future. Packages linking to
libmysqlclient should depend on libmysql6.)

The packages are 95% ready. The install scripts need some polish
(mysql_install_db appears to hang for some reason, but a ^Z and fg
allows it to finish), and I need to double check a few details before
I can put the packages in unstable, but if you promise to back-up your
data first, and to send me any questions and bug reports, you're
welcome to try out the packages. Bug reports with patches are
especially welcome ;).

The packages are arranged a bit differently than under 3.21:

mysql: server and docs
mysql-client: client binaries, requires libmysql6
mysql-dev: devel libraries and shared library libmysql6

These packages are all non-free for now; once they are stable, I will
prepare versions of the libraries and clients for main. libmysql6 will
probably go into a package of its own.

Scott
--
Scott Hanson <shanson@shcon.com>  <shanson@debian.org>