Re: RFC: new network config

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:29:04 +0000, Christian Hammers <ch@lathspell.westend.com> said:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 10:50:10PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>> proposed system supported the following features.  IMHO, these
>> features are *required* for any re-work of the network
>> configuration system:

> I'm totally on your optionion :-), but ...

>> * integrates with PCMCIA stuff (i.e., /etc/pcmcia/network.opts)
> ...just mail me your current PCMCIA configuration including all

> scripts, and I will implement it. (I have no PCMCIA)

Below I include /etc/pcmcia/network.opts.  Basically, this file is run
when the network slot is started.  You can add switches on the
top-level case statement in order to activate different
configurations.

For more complete information, see the pcmcia-source package, which
has all the materials in it.  You don't have to run PCMCIA to install
this packge; it's just source for building pcmcia-cs and
pcmcia-modules .debs when you compile kernels.

>> * allows for roving profiles (mobile computers)

> ..just tell me how (I have no mobile computer)

Well, the point here is that you should be able to set a switch
somewhere, and all of your network settings (IP, gateway, DNS server,
mail smarthost, NIS+ or NIS server, NFS or CODA mounts etc.) willl
change.  Obviously, we need a modular system that different packages
(esp., MTAs, PAM stuff such as kerb or NIS+ or LDAP or radius
authentication servers, NFS client, CODA client) can plug into.

>> * allows/enables large-scale configuration managment (i.e.,
>> server-side control of client network values, i.e., DHCPd et al)
> I have never used DHCP. Someone told me a bit about it and I
> implemented it. Isn't it working the way I did it ?

> Anyway I would propose to make it stable as it is now, release it
> and then wait for comments. Of course, if someone has a really good
> idea, he can either implement it himself or tell me how he done it
> before and I think about how to do it with the new scripts.

Sounds good.  Again, I haven't studied your stuff; I just want to see
a system which is extensible, modular, and open-ended.  I'd like to
make sure that multi-network systems, roving systems, thin clients,
and routers are supported.