Re: New approach to obsolete packages

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999, Richard Braakman wrote:
> We've had a number of cases now where it would be convenient to have a
> package that removes itself after successful installation.  In some
> cases we actually built one (xbase, miscutils), with others we found
> another solution (modutils), and with some we don't have a solution
> yet (xfnt*).
>
> I think a general solution might be to add a single new dpkg flag:
>
> Self-Destruct: Yes
>
> This tells dpkg to automatically remove the package if nothing else
> depends on it.

I think that this is a very good idea. It could even be extended to remove
"unused" libraries (by unused, I mean that no package depends on the
library anymore).

I often had to install particular libraries to test a package, and I had to
write down their names so that I could remove them manually when I had
finished my evaluation.

Regards,

Hugo

--