Re: RFC: new network config (was: Re: network configuration)

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 08:02:43AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> /etc/init.d/routing (or whatever it is called) should have a config
> option telling it whether to set static routes or not. default would be
> 'yes'. anyone who needs to run routed or gated or zebra (which i have
> packaged but not released - too buggy at this stage[*]) would set it to
> 'no'.
proposals who to realise this "config option" ?
(I though those, who use gateD or similar simply enter nothing flagged as
external into /etc/gateways or see I something wrong ?)

> there should be at least:
>
>     /etc/init.d/interfaces
>     /etc/init.d/spoof-protect
>     /etc/init.d/routing
> and maybe:
>     /etc/init.d/ip-aliases
>     /etc/init.d/firewall  (although this may be better in it's own package,
>                            possibly a merger with the ipmasq package)
What about one firewall script with spoof-protect included.
The ipfwadm program should go into netbase because it is too small for
an own package and spoof use it anyways !
(btw newbies won't download a "firewall" package ... and never learn about
the simple use of ipfwadm)

> and /etc/init.d/network should exist and call each of them in the
> correct order. it should also contain lots of comments so that anyone
... after checking if they're existing..
ok.

> craig sanders
read you,

   -christian-

--
Linux - the choice of the GNU generation.          Join the Debian Project
                                                     http://www.debian.org