Re: stuff someone should package (Re: Audio CD & MP3)

Joey Hess wrote:
>Eric wrote:
>> BladeEnc (http://home8.swipnet.se/~w-82625) is a wonderful encoder if
>> you're interested in producing high-quality MP3's.
>
>Heikki Vatiainen wrote:
>> My current favourite is L.A.M.E., which stands for
>> L.A.M.E Ain't an Mp3 Encoder.
>>
>> It is fast and the quality is good enough, at least for me. LAME
>> needs the ISO example source code to work so you have to do some
>> patching and compiling to get it working. All you need is at
>>    http://student.uq.edu.au/~s302585/
>
>I think bladenc is binary-only, but LAME is free though it has some assembly
>required.

lamer actually has no license attached, although the author considers it
free. dist10, the ISO reference code, has what looks to be a license but in
fact is only a disclaimer of warranty (i.e. grants no rights to copy the
software).

>What's the copright/patent status of mp3 encoders? Could this be packaged up
>for non-us?

mp3 encoding is as much non-de as it is non-us, and non-us.debian.org is
currently in Germany.

The Fraunhofer Institute has patents that cover MP3 encoding in the US and
Germany (the two countries that granted the institute the patent) until
about 2012.

On a side note, lamer seems to make garbage when confronted with a
non-16-bit-44.1khz .wav file. Very fast (I like the ETA line) and quite good
quality though.

I already have lamer packaged up for my own use but am unwilling to
distribute binary or complete source packages as I am in the US.

Talk to me if you want a .diff.gz against dist10. That should be fairly
legal.
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"It's like a love-hate relationship, but without the love." -- jwz, on linux