Re: network configuration

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 01:16:24AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Craig Sanders wrote:
> > perl is probably best. 'perl -i' is good for editing a file without
> > going through intermediary temp files. ed is also good for this but a
> > bit harder to write scripts for (not as intuitively obvious, but simple
> > once you figure it out).
>
> Can I suggest using sh and sed? I want to do this on boot-floppies were
> we don't have perl as well.

in this part of the thread, i was talking about auto-mangling config
files after debian packages have installed them. not sure if that is
particularly relevant to boot-floppies.

but yes, it can certainly be done in sh and sed.  i did it with sh/sed/ed
long before i learnt perl.

(aside from all the cool modules, basic perl can't really do anything
that sh/sed/ed/awk/cut/etc can't....perl just makes it easier and
faster)

do the boot floppies have ed? doesn't really matter, temp files can be
used if ed isn't available.

craig

--
craig sanders