Re: gnome-apt worry

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Dave Swegen wrote:

> I acknowledge that gnome might not be that bloaty, but the main reason is
> that I don't really want a bucketload of (small) libs floating about on my
> system that I only use for one app, and that require regular updating
> (which apt of course would take care of :) That is the main reason for my
> objection to using gnome.

Most of them should be pretty stable, except for Gtk/Gnome itself until we
hit 1.0 (RSN).

> Oh, and please don't do what I've noticed a lot of gtk coders doing - going
> with the devel version and to all intent ignoring the stable version, thus
> rendering it pointless (I'm guilty of this myself tho ;)

Nope, I won't be doing this. I'm so sick of everchanging libs... you have
no idea. ;-)

I think Gtk 1.0 really was quite limited, and Gnome rightly went with 1.2
which will be current when Gnome is released, rather than 1.0 which was
current a year ago. 1.2 has de-crufted all the basic functionality in a
pretty thorough way, so future versions will mostly add features rather
than break things, I hope.

I plan to stick to Gtk 1.2/Gnome 1.0 until gnome-apt hits 1.0. Then the
next devel version might track the library, if there is a compelling
reason to do so.

Havoc