Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

   Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 22:27:15 -0600
   From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>

   You're making the thing too specific.  The point is that libraries can
   change; we're not the only ones that have done that (Linux isn't the only OS
   that has done that either).  Forcing the paths to be in the executable when
   they do not need to be should logically be thought of as bad due this this
   possibility.

Actually, I'm curious as to whether there really is another example of
an OS which changed shared libraries without changing the soname (as
Alexandre pointed out, that was really what caused the problem).  I
don't know of any example of that.

Ian