Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

   Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:19:47 -0600
   From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>

   On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 05:07:30PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

   > You might have included my suggestion to prevent having to move
   > libraries in the first place: creating a libc6-specific directory
   > right now, instead of installing libraries in /usr/lib and having to
   > move them into another directory when libc7 should be released.

   So, in other words, you would have Debian violate FSSTND, FHS, and decades
   or historical precedent simply because you are unwilling to fix brokenness
   in libtool?  I simply find this level of arrogance almost beyond
   comprehension.  To say that Debian and every other distribution that tries
   to adhere to these standards (most do) is broken for trying to do so is
   ludicrous.

Wow, just when I thought we'd reached some degree of consensus.

``Decades of historical precedent?''  ``Arrogance almost beyond
comprehension?''  Are you interested in solving the problem, or are
you just talking?

   Of all the nerve, this has to take the cake.  I have no problem with
   maintaining compatibility, but when it comes to something like this, where
   compatibility CAN be maintained while still allowing us to take advantage of
   our features, to insist that we must ignore our features is outlandish.

As far as I can tell, compatibility was broken with any program that
linked with -rpath and a system directory.  libtool merely happens to
be one example.

Ian