Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 07:37:42AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> > An analogy: When I wand to get hot water in restrooms, I just look at
> > the tap, and turn the red one; I do not INSIST on opening the left one,
> > risking to get cold water...
>
> Good analogy.  What's happening here is that Debian is placing the red
> lable on the cold water tap.  I.e., they're replacing a library with
> an incompatible version of it, and getting in trouble because some
> programs are now getting cold water where they expected hot water.

No, we're labeling it properly, you're just getting trouble because you have
purposely blinded yourself and are unable to read the label.

> right?  Then why doesn't ld.so follow this rule, by replacing /usr/lib
> with /usr/lib/libc5 when it finds this directory in the rpath too?

Because rpath shouldn't be overridden, perhaps?  Sorta defeats the purpose
of it, doesn't it?  Makes us non-compliant.  Introduces a bug!