Re: Proposal for new architecture support/distribution

> Feature             | Apple & Clones PPC  | RS/6000 PPC  |  CHRP
> - --------------------+---------------------+---------------------
> ISA bus             | No                  | Yes          |   Yes
> PCI 2.1 bus         | Very Few            | Yes          |   Yes
> PCI 2.0 bus         | Very Few            | Yes          |   ???
> MCA 80/160 bus      | No                  | Yes          |   No!! :-)
> Onboard SCSI        | Pre-G3 Only (Apple) | Yes (IBM)    |   Yes
> Onboard Sound       | Yes (Apple)         | Yes (IBM)    |   Yes
> Tablet Port         | No                  | Yes (IBM)    |   no
> Parallel Port       | Most                | Yes          |   Yes
> Standard Serial Port| No                  | Yes          |   Yes
> SMP Hardware        | *VERY* few          | Most         |   some
> Maximum SMP CPUs    | 2                   | 12 (S70 AS)  |   4 or so
> Works with PC PCI   | No                  | Yes          |   Yes
> Works with PC ISA   | No                  | Yes          |   Yes
  ADB                 | Yes                 | No           |   Yes
  SCC                 | Yes                 | No           |   Yes
  PS/2                | No                  | Yes ?        |   Yes
  Firmware            | Yes                 | No ?         |   Yes
  IDE                 | Yes                 | ???          |   Yes
  Big Rom / nvarm     | Yes                 | ???          |   Yes

> As you can see, there's a lot of things that IBM has, that Apple doesn't.

IBM is missing some ...  :-)

Go and work on the kernel or help compiling stuff for powerpc. We need no
extra architecture.

> Or does differently. There are many things that a PC (PC being defined as
> an x86/IA-32 system) can use, such as pciutils, that an RS/6000 will
> likely also be able to use, that an Apple or clone will not be able to
> use. You wonder why MacOS doesn't run on RS/6000's? That's why. ;)

MacOS and also AIX is working for me. I have not tried AIX personally on
my board, but seen it on others CHRP boxes.

MfG,

       Hartmut