Re: What hack in ld.so?

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@cygnus.com> writes:

>    Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:52:48 -0700 (MST)
>    From: Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca>
>
>    > That's not what I'd like libtool to do.  I agree there is a problem to
>    > be fixed, I just think that libtool is not the only piece of software
>    > that may have to be changed to fix it, because it is not the only
>    > piece of software that uses -rpath.
>
>    libtool is however the only piece of software that we cannot easially
>    change.
>
> I don't understand the reasoning here.  The libtool files that a
> package will use are distributed with that package.  If you are
> willing to modify a package's Makefile to remove -rpath, then it ought
> to be just as easy or difficult to modify the package's ltconfig file.

I think that's the point - we don't want to have to modify each and
every package that uses libtool.  That's what we are doing now.  It
seems, somehow, wrong.

There are valid reasons for Debian not to want -rpath.  But we have to
use a somewhat 'hacky' method to disable it currently.  I think all we
want is a somewhat cleaner method of achieving the same result.

Cheers,

 - Jim