Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

On Feb  1, 1999, Bernard Dautrevaux <DAUTREVAUX@microprocess.com> wrote:

>> In general, it's convenient to store the path in the executable any
>> time a shared library is installed in a directory which the dynamic
>> linker does not search by default.

> Especially if it is related to the executable. If it's a requisite (that
> is if you say: My program will only work if you installed libraries
> libsomething on your system) you should expect this library to be
> *installed*, that is the system setup to be changed so that the linker
> will find it, and then -rpath is a nuisance.

I can't see it as a nuisance.  If the library is installed at the
hard-coded path, it will be used.  If it is installed elsewhere, and
the dynamic linker is properly configured, it will also be found.  If
it is not installed, or the dynamic linker is misconfigured, it will
not be found (of course :-).

But if an unrelated library with the same soname is installed in the
hard-coded path or in some directory the dynamic linker is configured
to use, the user (or the packager) is asking for trouble, and that's
what he'll get.

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}