Re: What hack in ld.so?

On Feb  1, 1999, Bernard Dautrevaux <DAUTREVAUX@microprocess.com> wrote:

> Once more this proves that -rpath is harmful: If Devian use -rpath thsi
> will *force* the other distribution makers to place Devian-specific
> stuff in /dev (and if Devian was crazy, placing standard stuff in /dev,
> their programs will only work on Devian distribution, which may be what
> they want but is definitely *NOT* what *I* would like).

It appears that you haven't fully understood the meaning of -rpath.
It adds a directory to the search path of a program, but it doesn't
force the program to find libraries it needs in that directory.  If
/dev/lib does not exist, or the required libraries are not found in
/dev/lib, they will be searched in directories specified in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and in the default search path.

The only problem for Devian packages in non-Devian distributions, if
libtool failed to -rpath /dev/lib, would be that, even if libraries
that are part of Devian packages are properly installed in /dev/lib,
they will not be found by Devian programs, because /dev/lib will not
be searched.

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}