Re: Is is legal to have duplicate package names? (We got two)

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 04:44:45AM +1100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> At the moment there are two in the archive.
>
> One is xgmod, which is in both contrib and main, with
> the main one being newer. Looks like the package was moved
> but not deleted out of old area. Accident probably.

Indeed.  It's an effect of the way the new ftpadmins handle packages
that move across distributions.  The leftover packages are removed
in irregular cleanups, so it's not a major problem.

> The other is ircii, which exists in both main and non-US/main.
> Almost the same version numbers and undoubtably deliberate.

I have no idea what the intent is behind ircii.  Probably the non-US
one should be renamed to ircii-ssl, or the other one removed.

> Is this allowed?

No, we should not have duplicates at release time.

Richard Braakman