Re: freedomization task list [was: Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL]

On 26 Dec 1999, John Goerzen wrote:

> John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:
>
> > Until that happens, I stand by the fact that xemacsXX depends on X in all
> > extant cases.
>
> Being linked with a library is FAR different that requiring the X
> Window System (X).  The difference is not hard to notice and I am
> surprised that you have missed it.

If you tell me how to find out if package foo requires X save by the
xlib6g dependency, I'll gladly concede the point.  Good luck trying...

> Furthermore, your logic quoted below is extremely faulty; xterm has no
> non-X mode; XEmacs does.  Oops, looks like you have a flaw.  Next
> thing I know you'll be claiming mc depends on GNOME and ls on Linux!

Furthermore nothing. The only fault of logic here is your failure to
address all bases for the analogy and your building a strawman.

> Note that even though it is linked with an X library, it is still
> possible for it to ignore such.

Not when you're installing it.  The actual execution is irrelevant--you
can't even install xemacs without X, and installation is just a bit higher
up in the tree than execution: you can install without execution, but you
can't execute without installing.

> > On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> >
> > > Quoting John Galt:
>
> --
> John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
> Developer, Debian GNU/Linux (Free powerful OS upgrade)       www.debian.org |
>   via Remote

 Customer:  "I'm running Windows '98"      Tech: "Yes."      Customer:
   "My computer isn't working now."     Tech: "Yes, you said that."