Re: Likewise su should not screw with PATH

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> # (they are minimal, add the rest in the shell startup files)
> ENV_SUPATH	PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
> ENV_PATH        PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
>
> That is taken from the default login.defs in potato.

Odd, I just updated and my login.defs still doesn't contain that line. And I
wasn't asked by dpkg whether to take the new configfile or not.

In any case it's still wrong. /usr/local/s?bin should always be before the
distribution directories. Anything installed locally by the administrator
should be presumed to be overriding system binaries.

--
greg