Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 03:53:33AM -0500, Caspian wrote:
>
> > > They're the right tool for what *I* want to do.  Don't turn them into
> > > "Unix for Dummies" X-based "Are you sure?" machines!  :)
> >
> > Believe me, the -last- thing that I want to see is a Unix distribution
> > that's offensive to Clueful people. I want one that will adapt. One where
> > the installer will ask you: "Are you a [N]ewbie, [I]ntermediate user,
> > [A]dvanced user, [H]acker"... then "N" will drop you into a cheezy GUI
> > installer for a cheezy set of GUI tools, "H" will drop you into the
> > traditional Debian installer (or something along those lines), and "I" and
> > "A" will do something in between...
> >

> Better :
> for A you will get traditional Debian installer
> for H you will get bash with `So install it yourself. You surely know everything better that us'

Not funny. That's the whole problem-- Unix hackers have, on a whole, been
recognized by the Rest of the World as boorish and thoroughly unhelpful--
or, in a word, "rude". We shouldn't be that rude to others-- we shouldn't
even be that rude to ourselves. I've been rude in the past, but now I'm
realizing that if free software is to succeed, we must move past our
traditional abrasiveness, at least on the surface.

--
 = Jon "Caspian" Blank,  right-brained computer programmer at large =