Re: Reference counting for packages (finding unused packages)

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shaleh@valinux.com> writes:

> On 07-Dec-1999 Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > I would like to know what packages I don´t need anymore when removing
> > a package. At the moment one can only look at the dependencies
> > manually and try to deinstall them if one doesn´t know what to do with
> > them.
> >
> > This mechanism could be automated by a simple reference counting.
> >

> my initial thought here is what about build time depends?  Nothing depends on
> say a java compiler.  It would spuriously appear to be safe to remove.
>
> This could be solved by a task-java-dev, but I still can envision some bad
> cases.

Actually the java compiler would not be installed unless you asked for
it directly and then it gets a count of one because you asked for
it. Any package a user has asked to be installed will never have a
count of 0. Of cause one must be carefull what to ask for. :)

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin