Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 12:56:58PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     I thought rather about a set of tools that put together will make
>     a web browser. This will be :
>
> That sounds like the Unix design approach.  I tend to think that this
> approach would be more work, and would result in something not as easy
> to use.

Will be surely very easy. User wont even notice how it is built.
Only internal design will be completely against Netscape's.
Even MS went in direction Im suggesting, so the have better browser than
Netscape has.
Modulization means:
(obvious ones)
spellchecking utility wont be part of browser ( it is in NSC, not in IE )
MTA wont be part of browser ( it is in NSC, not in IE )
MUA wont be part of browser ( it is in NSC, not in IE )
(not obvious ones)
html preprocessor wont be part of browser ( it is in both NSC and IE )
{http,ftp,whatever}-requester wont be part of browser ( it is in both NSC and IE )
web cache wont be part of browser ( it is in both NSC and IE )
etc.

anything controversive ?
all will be user-transparent

developing modular browser is easier cause most parts are already done
and lie somewhere.

>     Part I dont know how will be done is java script. Anyone has some ideas ?
>
> Netscape has released a Javascript interpreter under a license
> which is the disjunction of NPL and GNU GPL.  We can use that.

will be checked when browser will mature