Debian Japanese project

Takashi Sogo <dog@gol.com>, a member of our LUG, is looking to install
Linux on a new system and would strongly prefer to have
Japanese input/output, etc.  He writes:

> Douglas, you can display Japanese fonts on your system, right?
> And it was some kind of package in Debian, wasn't it? Could you
> give me the URL which has information about it? Does the package
> include Japanese input system, too?

I am not too experienced with the Chinese-Japanese-Korean character
sets and input modes.  I did install them at one point but only to be
able to view a few web pages.

Would it be possible for someone from the Debian-Japanese project to
contact Takashi directly and explain the Japanese facilities in Debian
to him?

Thanks in advance.