Subject: Re: (reiserfs) Re: Fwd: Reiserfs and shlibs
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 15:57:12 +0100
From: Ragnar Kjørstad <reiserfs@ragnark.vestdata.no>

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 02:30:10PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Dec 1999, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> >
> >Previously Hans Reiser wrote:
> >> No, definitely not, it would be a change to Unix semantics.
> >
> >We could probably argue about that.. so far reiserfs is the first
> >filesystem I have encountered that does this reordiring.
>
> ReiserFS intentionally orders directories by design.  Other file systems such
> as SGI's XFS and the Veritas VXfs also index directories, I am not certain if
> they also store files in the order that they were created in.  I would
> appreciate it if someone could run some tests on XFS or Veritas file systems
> to test these things.

on vxfs:

touch a
touch c
touch b
readdir returns ("a", "c", "b")
rm c
touch 1
touch 2
readdir returns ("a", "1", "b", "2")

on xfs:

touch a
touch c
touch b
readdir returns ("a", "b", "c")
rm c
touch 1
touch 2
readdir returns ("1", "2", "a", "b")

Iow vxfs behaves like ext and xfs sorts the data.

--

Ragnar Kjørstad

The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with
Microsoft's self-interest.
-- Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson, U.S. District Judge