Re: death of the gif format

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Ben Armstrong wrote:

>3. As for making a difference.  *Someone* has to carry the banner for
>   free software.  Debian is the banner-bearer.  I'm not a "religious"
>   free-software zealot.  But I do recognize the value of the role that
>   Debian takes, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with what percentage
>   of the total OS market we represent.  It has everything to do with
>   principles and leadership.  We hold the bar a bit higher, and as long
>   as we are still being heard, the whole free software world benefits
>   as a result.

Yes I agree that ye are making the right decision here. My thoughts on
this were based on the assumption that removing gif utils from Debian
would mean less people are likely to adopt it in favour of some other
linux distro. The point of Debian is having a 100% free base distro and
this was a stupid comment. Sorry for bringing this up again and thanks
for opening my eyes.

johno