Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 02:37:55AM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 09:13:17AM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > What does it mean to make a new GNU/Linux distro that is more
> > user-friendly and entirely free?  How would it differ from Debian?
> > It seems to me it would differ in two ways:
> >
> > 1. It is entirely free.  You could achieve this starting with Debian
> > by eliminating the non-free and contrib categories (the definitions
> > may need a little adjustment), getting rid of some links to them,
> > changing some HOWTOs, and a few other things.

We can do this now. Use vrms to find out which packages are non-free
and use free substitutes
> > 2. It has some additional software for user-friendliness.
Use the code from Storm/Laetos/Linux Router Project - there are
too many Debian derived distributions already.

> I see three other reasons to eventually fork :
>
> 1. I cant recommond Debian to GNU/Linux newbies. So I have to
> reccomend them some not-100% free distro. The whole Debian is too
> difficult to change. It *may* be easier to fork.
I agree.
> 2. Debian's packages quality is very inequal. We cant force
> Debian to make Quality Standards, and if maintainer of some
> package dont think this is a bug, we can do nothing.
I disagree very strongly. Debian is consistent, packages are
traceable to a developer. The system works: there are no
problems of inconsistent packaging - try installing a SuSE/Caldera
/Mandrake .rpm on a RedHat system or vice versa.
> 3. Debian is going out very rarely. Potato and half is
> very good idea (is anyone sure woody will be in 2000 ? Im not)
I'm confident. We are volunteers - working on the largest linux
distribution.
> Our possible distro have to be .deb compatible.
> And will probably share also most of base and
> many other packages.
If you are going to share more than 60% of Debian - is the extra
effort involved in forking worth it ??

Just my 0.02 Euro

Andy