Re: discovery: debian menu already supports l10n!

Je 1999/12/05(0)/ 3:12, Chris Waters montris sian geniecon skribante:

OK, several hours before 0:00 GMT I've put a preliminary menu version
on
  http://joostje.op.het.net/menu

This menu doesn't do the `unasked for' translation it used to do
(want to enable that again), but it does support a
  translate($lang, $text)
function, and a
  forall("eo:nl:es","lang", translate($lang,title()));
function.

So, people from gnome-panel can already experiment with it.

Oh, BTW, to re-enable that `unasked for' translation, I probably
will introduce a
  repeat_lang="LOCALE"
directive.

So, for fvwm, one would be able to set:
  repeat_lang="eo:nl:en"
  genmenu="menudefs.hook-" $lang
and then the next release of menu should generate menudefs.hook-eo,
menudefs.hook-nl, menudefs.hook-en. (with proper translations etc).
Then all we need is to get fvwm to read that file according to the locale.
(Maybe by adding a Read_LC() command in the startup file, if we
really have to.).

To make the menu-method not do all this stuff (in gnome we only want
the translations to happen with the translate() function), one would
set:
  repeat_lang="NONE"
menu should already accept that now, BTW (but just ignore it).

(BTW, this version of menu isn't exactly extensively tested).

Thanks,

--
joostje