Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL

On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 09:08:21PM -0500, Caspian wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 03:29:29AM -0500, Caspian wrote:
> > > I'm a crack Perl and PHP hacker. I can do the various things on the Web
> > > that are necessary. I can also host the domain if necessary. :)
> >
> > As perl hacker you should make free replacements of all these
> > little non-free tools that still exists somehow in centre of free world
>
> Such as? :) A list of such things (things that would be feasible to
> replace with clever Perl work) would be much appreciated..

I take all these ideas from /var/state/apt/lists/ftp*non-free* :)
There might be some bugs on this task list, this is only fast look-thru
Marked positions are the most prpmising
The task list (not all for you, for anyone who wants and can) :

CKJV: (CKJV is all very non-free, should be changed)
a2ps-perl-ja

*tex extensions: (some will be simple, others not)
abc2mtex ( !!! )
arabtex
lgrind
opustex
musixtex (+ -doc)

tools/frontends : (the main work)
archie
xarchie
btoa ( !!! )
calctool - not certainly perl but should be simple
chktex ( !!! )

need investigation :
clustalw
frotz
imgstar
lclint (+ -doc)
mmm
rman
treetool

not-in-perl :
mp3asm
tgif

editors : (someone should make free similar ones, not-in-perl)
axe
nedit

patent problems (not-in-perl) :
whirlgif - make other-format-servicing alternative

semi-done :
html2latex
wwwtable
xearth

important mistake of packages' author :
xevil changed license and is not free. it was.
we should back to last free version

> > ps:
> > Im making replacemnts of html2latex and wwwtable now
> > They are both in beta state now.
> > Still searching for testers
> >

> What does wwwtable do? :) Makes tables of something?

you give some html with tag wwwtable inside and it converts it
to html with normal html table, not touch the rest of file:
ex:
<wwwtable border>
(1,1) bgcolor=red
foo
(1,2) bgcolor=blue
bar
(1,3) bgcolor=green
baz
(2,*)
quux
(3,1) colspan=2
muux
</wwtable>
to exactly what it should
nice thing
the only problem I had with html was guessing which in cell this text
will be placed