Re: The end of GIF format [was : Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL ]

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Nils Jeppe wrote:
> > Anyway, as long as my web browser won't read .png's, I'm reluctant to nuke
> > my remaining .gif's.
>
> Vicious circle.. It's just like why everybody still uses
> Windows. Someone's got to start pushing the alternatives...

Well, start pushing the alternatives by providing me with *real*
alternatives.  If I spend 50% of my working days in Netscape, and .png's
are broken in Netscape, I'm going to be unhappy.  If, however, I can
replace Netscape with something that works, or I can configure Netscape so
it works, or if I discover that only certain .png's produced by Gimp are
broken & the rest are OK, then I may be able to live with it.

So I really didn't want to fuel the political debate.  I'm asking for help
with my setup.  Using .gif's is *wrong*.  It offends my principles.  But
for practical reasons, I am still stuck with them ... unless someone can
help me out.  The .png's that I'm making for my personal use with Gimp
are not working. :(

Here's a bit more info:

- I'm at gimp 1.0.4-2.0.1
- I tried saving them at compression factor 9.0

Ben