Re: ramblings about old hardware, gzip, bz2, and pentium opts

Personally, I'm of the opinion that apt/dpkg should be made smarter about
source packages built locally, with some sorta flag in the status files
indicating that it was built from source... basically make it similar to
*bsd make world, except that doing upgrades gives you the option of using
source packages to recompile all upgraded packages that you had already
compiled from source package. Could even have an alias for gcc in some
conf file somewhere, so that you can very easily pass whatever flags you
like to gcc for all packages... a bit of a hack but it might work better
than making everyone stick new variables in debian/rules. Either way, it'd
be very nice to be able to pick and choose between binary packages for
some things and compiling with optimizations from source packages for
other things, and have upgrades be automatic. Some ideas about
implementation of this have been discussed on the list as well... it'd
sure be nicer than bloating the archive further with binary packages
compiled w/optimizations for every imaginable processor.

--
Mike Markley <mike@markley.org>
PGP: 0xA9592D4D 62 A7 11 E2 23 AD 4F 57  27 05 1A 76 56 92 D5 F6