Dealing with hardcoded paths

Hi dear fellow developers,

surely some of you had to deal with source packages producing binaries which
contain hardcoded paths defined in the Makefile.

If I set up the Makefile to install into $DESTDIR as ususal, i.e.
debian/tmp/usr I end up with wrong locations in binaries which call other
parts of the package e.g. in $HOME/debian/tmp/usr/lib/rt instead of
/usr/lib/rt.

Now, I can´t really let the package roll itself out under /usr lest I
risk overwriting something, so am I to patch the binaries which are created
or what ?

Regards,
--
       /(__  __|\          Lars Steinke, Physicist, Albert-
      (    \/  __)_        Ludwigs-University, Freiburg, DE