Re: ITP: Open Source Development with CVS

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 14:57:19 -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> but exactly what would you want PDF for? How is it superior to postscript?

- Unlike PostScript, PDF has hyperlink capabilities.
- Unlike PostScript, PDF supports a file index using thumbnail images.
- Unlike PostScript, PDF can often be read using software that most users of
  the program loaders that shall not be named have installed, making it e.g.
  a suitable alternative to PowerPoint for presentations.
- Unlike PostScript, most PDF readers support text search.

- Unlike HTML, PDF describes layout.

- PDF is easly converted to PostScript.
- PDF is based strongly on PostScript (imaging model, primitives, fonts etc)

IMO, this makes PDF more or less PostScript TNG. So much in fact that I have
this cunning plan (STR) brewing in the back of my head to propose a policy
modification making PDF the preffered "dead tree" format over PostScript.

Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would