Re: Release-critical Bugreport for November 26, 1999

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 12:46:09AM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
>  > > Package: libg++272 (main)
>  > > Maintainer: Debian GCC maintainers <gcc@packages.debian.org>
>  > >   47212  [m68k] libg++272_2.7.2.8-1 build failure
>  >
>  > Here we need the help from the M68K-Team to find the bug and a solution
>  > for it.
>
> This is a more general issue. Currently even on i386 libg++272 does
> not build with a gcc272, which was built on potato. We would need a
> glibc-2.0 based build environment, I doubt this is worth the
> trouble.
>
> There is another not yet filed bug ... altgcc does not build from
> source on potato.

It would be *much* better to fix the old gcc system to work in the new
environment, than marking most of our oldlibs section unbuildable, thus
practically dumping support for libc5 in potato. Not only that, but we'd
have to intervene in a lot of source packages to remove libc5 support, and
individual maintainers may not be welcoming that decision.

How do the Slackware people create libc5 binaries? With a newer compiler, or
with 2.7.2.* ?

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name