Re: ramblings about old hardware, gzip, bz2, and pentium opts

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 04:41:22PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> A better test is to use gzip on a large file from cache or some other
> integer program.

    As a random data point, I compiled my own copy of bladeenc with
-O3 -march=i686 (on a P2-266) to see if I could get an improvement in
compression speed over the upstream binary, and I did, consistent
across 3 compressions, of around 5% IIRC.  I don't have the numbers
handy anymore, unfortunately, though I suppose if someone really
really cares I could redo the experiment.
    And yes, the output was identical from both binaries.

Zed Pobre <zed@va.debian.org> | PGP key on servers, fingerprint on finger