Re: Release-critical Bugreport for November 26, 1999

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Anders Hammarquist wrote:

> > > Package: nfs-common (main)
> > > Maintainer: Anders Hammarquist <iko@debian.org>
> > >   50872  nfs-common: NFS file locking broken with LinUX 2.2.x

> > Needs some examination, by someone with familar with NFS.

> Most likely the reporters setup is broken. I've not had a response
> on my request for more information from him. Unless he comes back
> (or someone else can reproduce the problem) I'll close the bug at
> the end of this week. (It works perfectly for me with Linux knfs or
> Solaris 2.6 as server.)

I just had a look at this bug report and the problem looks to me like
the following:
The nfs client in kernel 2.2.* uses NFS locking by default
The nfs client in kernel 2.0.* did _not_ use NFS locking by default.
So if you use 2.2.* on the client with a server which doesn't support
locking (like the user space nfsd), this will result in an error
message on the client, if you try to lock a file via NFS using
fcntl().

You can simply work around this error by adding the option "nolock" to
mount options of the NFS filesystem which is mounted from a non
locking server.

So I don't think, that this is a bug in nfs-common but simply a
changed behavior in the Linux kernel, which may need some adjustment
in the fstab.

Maybe Debian should give users who upgrade from slink (kernel 2.0.*)
to potato (kernel 2.2.*) some hint, if the server still doesn't
support locking, but I'm not sure how this can be automated, because
it depends on every single server, which is accessed in fstab,
whether the nolock option has to be added or not.

Conclusion: Simply close this bug report.

Ciao

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *