Re: Package Pool Proposal

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Milan Zamazal's letter:

>     CW> Find the package you want on freshmeat.net (or similar), then
>     CW> search for it in Debian.
>
> Not much nice to people who buy Debian CD and use it off-line.
> I (almost) always look into Debian firstly when looking for a software
> doing something.
>
> Sections are nice when looking for a new program doing something.
> Priorities are nice when freeing disk space -- I can simply skip the top
> priorities.

yes. but with the number of packages increasing we need something better.
like 100 or 200 keywords (package maintaners choose a handfull) and a tool
to search fast and with boolean expression support. something like

	apt-get keyword-search ssl and http not nonfree

(the free/contrib/nonfree stuff can be put in the keywords, maybe the basic
licence type too [maybe i want to look for gpl packages only!])

my 0.02e,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio [http://www.bolinando.com/fog] {Friend of Penguins}
  99.99999999999999999999% still isn't 100% but sometimes suffice. -- Me