Re: Debian FreeBSD

On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 04:42:05PM +0100, Nils Jeppe wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, paul wrote:
>
> > Agree, although I am not a lawyer.  I fail to understand why GPL
> > licensed software running under a BSD licensed kernel would be at risk
> > to become proprietary.  If this is the case, would someone please
> > explain why and how the GPL would be weakened by the license of the
> > kernel.
>
> I guess what they mean is that the kernel is vital to debian (afterall,
> how well would debian run without a kernel? - answer: not at all) and that
> if the kernel is not gpl'ed you could basically cripple debian by
> controlling the kernel.

Even then, you could continue development from the last BSD licensed kernel.
The DFSG compliant *BSD are far from been static as some ppls asserted on
this discussion. They are still actively developed.

> Instead of a "*nix distro", you'd rather have a "software collection" for
> BSD, or am I misunderstanding everything?

Yes.

--
Eric Leblanc               <jughead@debian.org>  <ac891423@er.uqam.ca>
Departement de Mathematique % Univ. du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, Qc