Re: Bug in tar? (was Re: world writable /usr/lib/libguile.so.6.0.0)

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 11:15:47AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 01:15:37PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> > For one thing, it's non-portable. (IIRC, it will fail under hurd.)
>
> Can you explain the design reason for this?

No. I can tell you empirically that hard links to symlinks work on some
systems and fail on others. I think it's a sysV/BSD thing. Of the
operating systems I have lying around, linux, solaris, irix, and unicos
let you make a hard link to a symlink; AIX and "Tru64" (and, I've been
told, hurd) will make the hard link to the symlink's target rather than
to the symlink. I have no idea what a hard link to a symlink in a tar
file would do on the latter group, and I'm not inclined to find out.
Suffice it to say that this falls under the general category of "don't
do that."

--
Mike Stone