Re: Package Pool Proposal

On 23 Nov 1999, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> I'm getting into this discussion late, so maybe I don't
> understand the proposal, but won't we always be able to refer to
> packages by their location in a distribution?  I think that
> having to look in the package pool directories directly under
> that system would be pretty rare, right?

No.. Under the new system there will be exactly *1* path to get to a .deb
on the ftp site (currently we have at most 6 or so). If you want to use
'ftp' and download a .deb you need to be able to determine this single
path to use.

Two ways are to look in the Package file (apt-cache show foo) or to
actively search for it on the ftp site.

Jason