>      43 gs
>      42 pl
>      41 l2
>      38 xe
>      36 xs
>
> With 683 buckets used.
      ^^^^^
That is a bit extreme...

I was thinking, what if we just special case'd lib and maybe a few others
and still used prefixes but had a set of prefixes like
[a-z,lib[a-z],x[a-z],g[a-z]] That gives a much smaller top level dir and
still manages to create a nice logical distribution with good hash
properties. We can create new buckets later on if needed.

I think going by last letter is not a good idea because it is hard to
predict what a pacakge name will end in, consider zlib[2,2g,g2] I can
never remember what it ends in!

Jason