Re: apt sugestion

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 04:37:02PM +0100, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:

> Well the thing is that I think it would be good if an apt-get upgrade
> could be told wich packages not to upgrade, the way to do this could even
> be a file with a list of the risky packages, or some more complicated way.

    The simplest way of doing this is to set the package status to
"hold".  Apt will not auto-upgrade a held package.  I keep a 2 line
shell script in /usr/local/sbin called "dhold" which takes the package
name as it's argument and places that package on hold.  Note that
forcibly upgrading a package will break hold status, so you'll have to
put it on hold again afterwards.  The script contains:

#!/bin/sh
/bin/echo $1 hold | dpkg --set-selections

 Zed Pobre <zed@va.debian.org> | PGP key on servers, fingerprint on finger