Re: apt sugestion

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Martin Fluch wrote:
> > > Also a good use is people that compiles versions of a package for their
> > > special case, and that don't want the package replaced by a new version of
> > > the standard package, something like a mpg123 compiled for a 486 or a
> > > speak freely compiled in full duplex, ...
> >
> > Just remember that if your version number is higher than the one
> > available it won't get replaced.

Also remember that 'higher' means higher for dpkg. A letter is 'higher' than
numbers, I think. So, version "local1.23" is higher than "2.00".

> Never the less, it is not such an bad idea. For example I never want to
> my kernel/pcmcia modules be updated automaticaly. Yes, I know, I can set
> them on hold, and that is, what I do, but when ever I update them then
> manualy, I have again to set them on hold using dselect (is there a
> methode to do this with dpkg?)...

You might also use epochs. Yes, it is a kludge, but it works. I think
there's some documentation on kernel-package about this, but still...

Currently most packages use an epoch of 1: or none at all. Just set an epoch
of 10: or something like that in your local packages, and they will never be
replaced automatically (unless, of course, some developer starts using an
epoch of 10: or higher, but I don't think that's very likely :-) ).

However, once you start using epochs, you have to keep them (or force dpkg
to "downgrade" the package). Also, I don't know how straightforward it is to
set the epoch in most source packages (You'll have to edit something,
probably). For kernels using kernel-package it's downright easy, just add it
to the --revision as in make-kpkg --revision=3:localpackage (for an epoch of
3).

  Henrique Holschuh