Re: Package Pool Proposal

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 12:55:11AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On 22 Nov 1999, Guy Maor wrote:
>

> > The database.  I haven't really picked an implementation technology
> > and welcome advice.  I think whichever I pick, it should be accessible
> > via LDAP and web.  Maybe the entire database is downloadable from the
>
> I would be tempted to say that straight LDAP [db2 backend] would be a wise
> choice. It is nice and flexable and the security system is exactly what we
> want. There are some problems we might have in getting a schema, I know
> Ben Collins has thought about this problems [Ben?]

Our current package and source archive is already layed out in a schema.
In the openldapd package it is available in
/etc/openldap/debian.{oc,at}.conf. I should probably get a data sample of
the layout based on this schema. Basically this schema is based on a
source hash, each package being a child of it's source entry. It's also
split into arch and arch-indep fields (not the same as arch and arch-all).
Having such a large hash is ok in the LDAP directory since it's not really
afflicted with the same problems as a filesystem, but it should probably
better mirror the archive (or atleast contain a field that relates to the
archive layout.

`     bcollins@debian.org  -  collinbm@djj.state.va.us  -  bmc@visi.net    '