Re: permissions

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 01:13:56AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> group scheme would make a whole lot more sense if the user it is the
> users primary group but they are also added to the users group too.
> only being a member of one group of which you are the only member is
> useless IMO, it forces you to make things world readable to share
> with anyone, course if everyone is in the users group thats the same
> thing... oh hell im rambling :) )

I do believe that's the whole point. If you need to share files with someone,
then create a group which you both belong to. With a umask to make
files group read/write by default, the permissions end up correct
whever you are. In your own home directory, only you can read them;
in the shared directories, everyone in the group can read them.

Without the private groups, when working on group projects you spend
your whole life either remembering to change your umask or running
chmod. Awful.

Hamish