Re: Package Pool Proposal

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> with 921 items in it for the letter 'l'.) Compare to today: package section
> directories in source have an average of 282 files in them.

You are fogetting that we are going to have multiple versions too. So that
directory with 981 files is going to grow in the near tearm to 1200
(slnk+potato) and I think it would be unwise to not expect it to double or
more in a year (2000!)

Compare that to what we have now where the lagest dir (devel) has 575
items in it.

> I don't see anything in Guy's design to prevent changeing it to hashing by
> the first 2 letters of the package name if we need to in the future, but

Well clearly not, but the trouble is if you change the hash structure you
either re-hash all the items (huge mirror hit) or you somehow
incrementally re-hash which is painfull and confusing for users.

Jason