Re: What's the deal with apt, debconf and dpkg-preconfig?

Joey Hess wrote:

> >  First of all I upgraded apt to the latest version from potato.
> >  I decided to install debconf next, hoping to prevent the recent
> >  problems with packages calling debconf wrongly.
>
> None of those problems should happen on a fresh potato install or upgrade,
> all of them are debconf upgrade-related problems.

Well, just in case ;-) It appeared to me, those errors were errors of the
packages using debconf, not debconf itself.

> >  that /bin/sh cannot find dpkg-preconfig, which is very obvious, since
> >  this file belongs to debconf, which wasn't installed yet.
>
> If you got this message, you must have copied an /etc/apt/apt.conf over from
> some other machine that had debconf installed on it.

Oops, you are quite right. I really copied that file.

The irony is, that I copied this file just in order to insert that
mentioned ForceLoopBreak option correctly. Therefore I had not seen
the connection myself.

Thanks for your reply,

  Ulf