Re: Debian FreeBSD

On 18 Nov 1999, John Goerzen wrote:

> This is a very bad idea.
>
> Why?  The BSD license.
>
> We must not help software based on a BSD-licensed kernel no less
> become more prevelant.  The reason is that the BSD license allows
> companies to commercialize the product.  I for one disdain the idea of
> using SPI resources to help things that will become proprietary.

The BSD License is _specificly_ called out in "10. Example Licenses" of
the DFSG as a compliant license. You are suggesting that SPI _not_ support
a DFSG compliant product?

Your logic is flawed.

The author and copyright holder of the software can freely release one
version of the code under the GPL and another under a completely closed
license. Neither one effects the other, but by your logic I could not
support this author's efforts, as they "will" become proprietary.

The same is true of the BSD license, except that it is more honest, and
provides the same rights to the end user that the author has, that is the
right to release modified work under a different license. The "parent"
free version does not vanish under those circumstances, and continues to
provide a "free" development path.

Waiting is,

Dwarf