Re: why does start-stop-daemon not support --chgid ?

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 02:10:59AM +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 07:20:12PM -0500, Clint Adams wrote:
> > > The current CVS now has a call to initgroups() and also allows the --chuid
> > > arg to be in the form of "user.group".
> >
> > Please change this to user:group so that period-containing usernames will
> > work.
>
> Don't worry; major other things might go wrong before we care about
> start-stop-daemon if you have periods in your usernames.  How will you
> chown something to a period-containing username, for example?
> (Answer: use the numeric uid.  But do you really want to do that?)

Actually I have changed it to be ':' since periods may one be be usable
for usernames and/or groups. Colons will never be able to be there. So in
the interest of forward thinking...it's better this way :)

BTW, chown does support ':' as a seperator...on solaris, it's the only way
(default chown wont let you use periods).

`     bcollins@debian.org  -  collinbm@djj.state.va.us  -  bmc@visi.net    '