Re: qmail should use different uids

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 05:51:54PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Michael Stone wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 01:55:51PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > > qmail currently uses uids in the range 71-76. I strongly feel that we
> > > should not allocate such a large range of uids in the small 1-99 range
> > > for a non-free program such as qmail.
>
> You can't be serios - WTH is so special about <100? Is this like the
> millenium scare or something?

> > > We have a range for static uids and gid which qmail should use instead.
> > > As maintainer of the base-passwd package I'll appoint qmail the range
> > > 63450 to 63455 . Please update the qmail-package to use that instead.

We could make base-passwd a virtual package depending on either
base-passwd-qmail or base-passwd-non-qmail.

But seriously, I'd personally be a bit annoyed at having to reconfigure
several dozen systems.  It's not like these are just personal playstations;
they are all production systems and such a change is a serious and
time consuming matter.

What is the gain?