Re: Corel Linux

I haven't had a chance to install Corel Linux yet, but I was interested in
how many packages they modified from what is in stable and unstable. So I
did some analysis of what's on the CD.

There are 415 debian packages on the corel CD. Of those, 375 have identical
package names and versions as packages in slink or potato (most from slink).

Of the packages that share names and versions with packages in slink or
potato, most are the original Debian packages. The following, though, have
identical names and versions but changed contents of some kind:
	autofs_3.1.3-2_i386.deb
	gpm_1.14-3.deb
	login_980403-0.3.2_i386.deb
	passwd_980403-0.3.2_i386.deb

The remaining .deb packages on the CD that don't have the same package names
and version as things in debian might be of interest. They are:

kde-corel-admin_1.1-1254.deb
kde-corel_1.1-1254.deb
kernel-headers-2.2.12_corel.1.0_i386.deb
kernel-source-2.2.12_corel.1.0_all.deb
	All corel specific and well marked as such.
motifnls_2.1-5.deb
	This is the unstable version, one rev out of date.
navigator4_4.7-4_i386.deb
	Corel specific.
printfilter_1.2.deb
	Corel specific, may be a ported redhat package.
qmail-corel_1.03-1254.deb
	It's worth noting that though Corel does ship a compiled .deb of qmail,
	they don't violate the qmail licence by doing so, since they install
	the files where the qmail license says them must, in /var/qmail.
qt-corel_1.44O-6_slink.deb
	Well marked as corel specific.
samba-doc_2.0.5a-1_all.deb
	The unstable version, 4 revs out of date.
secure-su_980403-0.3.2_i386.deb
	The unstable version, a little out of date.
Plus a bunch of packages from xfree86-1, with version number 3.3.5-1.0.1.
	These are the unstable version of X, backported to slink. Corel
	fixed the FBDev problem anyone who backports X to slink must fix.

In summary, Corel has done a good job overall with not modifying Debian
packages without clearly moarking the resulting package as Corel specific.
The 4 packages that have the same name+version but different contents do
bother me; I hope there is a simple explination for them.

The cd also contains a live debian (well, Corel Linux) filesystem, BTW.

--
see shy jo