XF86Setup & xf86config problems

There's some very funny stuff going on with xf86config and XF86Setup.  The
main problem is pretty simple:  XF86Setup puts the file it generates in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11, and xf86config puts its file in /etc/X11.

As you can imagine, this can be very confusing - I was setting up a machine
recently (potato), and no matter how many times I erased /etc/X11/XF86Config,
XF86Setup wouldn't recognize it - so I was very confused.

Eventually I figured out what it was doing (with a 'locate XF86Config'), and
got that cleared up, but I think SOMETHING should be done about this.

Also, has anyone thought about packaging RedHat's XConfigurator?  In my
experience it's quite slick and does a very good job.

-- not a debian developer...

-David Watson